Introducing the Friends of Black Mountain Institute
For more than ten years, the Beverly Rogers, Carol C. Harter Black Mountain Institute has been based out of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas where it has been a haven for writers and fans of the written word.
BMI now needs your help to: stage moving live experiences, including an annual festival of arts and culture, which was called a "cultural milestone with a capital C" after its first appearance in 2017; publish magazines including The Believer, the nationally renowned and beloved literary magazine now made with care at UNLV; give a new generation of UNLV students the rare opportunity to hone their writing craft and work at major publications; provide asylum for writers from all over the world, who are censored, repressed or brought to peril in their home countries.
Will you help foster a mind-widening & heart-opening literary community?
Things you will receive:
- Six issues of The Believer
- Advance notice for BMI’s live events in Las Vegas so you can RSVP ahead of the crowd and claim your spot at live experiences, including the 2018 Believer Festival (April 13-14, 2018).
Everything BMI's "sustainers" receive, including six issues of The Believer, plus:
- An always fashionable and sometimes functional tote bag.
- A subscription to Witness magazine.
- A pass to the annual Believer Festival in Las Vegas.
- A few surprises along the way, like signed books and limited edition art.
Everything BMI's "believers" receive, plus:
- Invitations to private, intimate receptions and special events, including book clubs with distinguished authors.
- VIP access to the annual Believer Festival in Las Vegas.
- Two signed books per year.
*$84 a month
“A place for writers who want to do something beautiful.”
joshua wolf shenk | executive director, BMI and editor-in-chief of the believer
The limited edition design of the first "Friends of Black Mountain Institute" tote bag calls back to our namesake: the visionary Black Mountain College in North Carolina, which, while in operation between 1933-57, profoundly influenced the course of American arts and letters. In the early 2000s, one of BMI's earliest supporters, the entrepreneur Glenn Schaeffer, gifted the name to UNLV and challenged the university to create an unparalleled international literary center. Today, BMI is fulfilling its promise to do extraordinary work, with energy radiating out from a core made of the students and faculty and Las Vegas community members who depend on, and who support BMI's work. With help from friends, BMI's activities are reaching across the country and international borders. The tote bags with this design have been manufactured ethically in the US in a small run on the occasion of the original Black Mountain's 85th anniversary.